Saturday 18 April 2015

DARK NIGHT

Here is a poem by the great Spanish mystic, John of the Cross. In touches on so many important metaphors of sacred poetry – darkness, light, a secret ladder, the heart, the joining of Lover and Beloved, silence, and death of the little self.










DARK NIGHT

On a dark secret night,
starving for love and deep in flame,
O happy lucky flight!
unseen I slipped away,
my house at last was calm and safe.

Blackly free from light,
disguised and down a secret way,
O happy lucky flight!
in darkness I escaped,
my house at last was calm and safe.

On that happy night – in
secret; no one saw me through the dark –
and I saw nothing then,
no other light to mark
the way but fire pounding my heart.

That flaming guided me
more firmly than the noonday sun,
and waiting there was he
I knew so well – who shone
where nobody appeared to come.

O night, my guide!
O night more friendly than the dawn!
O tender night that tied
lover and the loved one,
loved one in the lover fused as one!

On my flowering breasts
which I had saved for him alone,
he slept and I caressed
and fondled him with love,
and cedars fanned the air above.

Wind from the castle wall
while my fingers played in his hair:
its hand serenely fell
wounding my neck, and there
my senses vanished in the air.

I lay. Forgot my being,
and on my love I leaned my face.
All ceased. I left my being,
Leaving my cares to fade
among the lilies far away.


John of the Cross

No comments:

Post a Comment